Before You Choose a Hebrew School:
10 Things That You Should Know
About The Workmen’s Circle Long Island Jewish School
- At a time when Hebrew School enrollment has been plummeting on Long Island & around the country, our enrollment has grown dramatically for years.
- Because of our success, we have been featured in the New York Times, the Jewish Week & the Jewish Star, & were recently filmed for a soon-to-be-aired major documentary.
- We build a strong Jewish identity through an innovative, meaningful & child-centered curriculum that has been designed to engage our students as active participants in their Jewish education. We place a premium on interactive instruction. Each of our classrooms is equipped with state-of-the-art smart board technology to help to extend our students’ Jewish education beyond the four walls of the classroom.
- We have found that hiring the highest quality teachers results in the highest levels of student engagement, satisfaction & growth. Our program is structured around our dynamic, highly skilled & engaging 10 member faculty. We also have a flourishing music & arts program, featuring a student chorus & a student Klezmer Ensemble.
- Our students receive an unparalleled, resonant progressive Jewish education that is unattainable anywhere else. We also run special programs for our students and families throughout the school year. We have just inaugurated an adult education program.
- We celebrate all of the major Jewish holidays as a community, with engaging child & family‑friendly services. There is no extra charge for our holiday programs. Our Jewish holiday observances are open to all members of the family at no charge. The attendance at our holiday programs has grown so large that it has been necessary for us to rent a local movie theater to accommodate our growing community.
- Our flourishing Bar/Bat Mitzvah program & post-Bar/Bat Mitzvah teen programs have sparked the passions of our youngsters, almost all of whom continue in our teen programs after their Bar/Bat Mitzvah. Our trailblazing & intensive Bar/Bat Mitzvah program is a cornerstone of our success. It has produced a level of student engagement in a substantive Jewish coming of age process and culminating ceremony that had been hitherto thought to be completely impossible for non-orthodox youngsters & families.
- Our cutting-edge Social Action & Community Service Program (in which every student in our school participates continually & across all grade levels) engages our students in tikkun olam (repairing the world) & the fundamental Jewish activism of working to create a shenere un besere velt far ale (a better & more beautiful world for all) by addressing issues & helping people in need on Long Island & around the world. This is another way in which we extend our students’ Jewish education beyond the four walls of the classroom. A listing of some of the many projects that our students are actively engaged in & the organizations that we partner with can be found on the Community Service page of our website.
- We are the largest school in Workmen’s Circle’s Shule (Jewish supplementary school) network. We currently have approximately 140 students enrolled.
- We are centrally located on Long Island within walking distance of Hempstead Turnpike & Eisenhower Park, convenient to major parkways including the Meadowbrook, Wantagh, Southern State, Northern State & LIE.